Archive for February 2008
“PRESS RELEASE: MYSPACE GOES TO KUWAIT”
The lede was out there, too: “Today, MySpace officially announced Operation MySpace, a concert for troops stationed in Kuwait. Performances will include the Pussycat Dolls, Jessica Simpson, Disturbed, Filter, DJ Z-Trip and the comedic genius of Carlos Mencia.”
Wait: the Pussycat Dolls and Filter aren’t geniuses?
“does anyone have a machine for blowing up helium balloons?”
William F. Buckley, the conservative commentator, died today. I have no use for his ideas or his writings, but his death reminded me of some immature behavior I engaged in about 20 years ago.
At PC Week in 1987, we used an internal email system notable for its slowness and unreliability. To connect with the outside world, we had to use MCI Mail. We discovered that a celebrity, William F. Buckley, had an account on MCI Mail, so with our collective minimal maturity we decided to copy him on all our correspondence. For example:
Cc: William F. Buckley
Yes, noon is fine.
We did this several times a day for a few months until the boss yelled at me about it. I had another boss there who used to play Tetris with me every day in his office and erased the high scores after I starting earning them. But that’s another post, for another day.
* The hat Grace wore on Sunday
* This morning I got to talk about a topic I care about for an audience open to it — and I didn’t stink up the room.
* Junior Senior’s Hey Hey My My Yo Yo, which time may show to be as wonderful as Chic’s Greatest Hits
* Getting some good writing done before coffee and knowing how I learned that trick
* The names of the awful $5 snack boxes on the plane (smartpack, minimeal, quickpick, rightbite)
* I discovered a trove of new writing by Bill James. Hooray for the Internet!
* The solos during the Hammersmith Odeon ’75 version of “Kitty’s Back”
* Knowing that, somewhere, Alice Munro is writing
* Courtney Love, the choruses of “Doll Parts,” “Violet,” and “Malibu.” Forget the tabloid stuff: Kurt wasn’t the only genius in that marriage
* Next Thursday night
So I expect blogging will be lighter than usual this week and next while I’m on the road. You’re welcome.
If, dear readers, you’re going to be at either of these events, please let me know.